freedom arrives in Cartajima, a forgotten Andalucian village

In this section members new and old are encouraged to post news and information about events taking place in Andalucia.
andalucia
Site Admin

freedom arrives in Cartajima, a forgotten Andalucian village

Postby andalucia » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:39 am

30 years after Spain chose democracy, freedom arrives in Cartajima, a forgotten Andalucian mountain village in the Alto Genal Valley

Cartajima, 16th June, 2007. In Spain’s recent (27 May) mayoral elections, Cartajima, a village hidden in the Andalucian mountains (resident pop. 100) found the courage to freely exercise their democratic vote for the first time. By a vote of 133 to 89, they ejected the Francoist incumbent, who had dominated them by intimidation and a system of favours for 24 long years.

Thirty years and a day after Spain embraced democracy, the new mayor was installed in a simple ceremony attended by the village’s residents who applauded tumultuously. “From Monday, the doors of this town hall will be open to everybody,” promised Francisco Benitez Tirado after accepting the symbol of office from the town clerk. “There will be a new dynamism and unity in this village.” He vowed that no town hall jobs would be lost and there would be no retributions as in past years. He appealed to the three opposition councillors representing the former mayor’s interests for their collaboration. This was met with silence.

The celebratory party went on late into the night as the mostly illiterate and elderly population danced pasa dobles and reveled in their new-found freedom from intimidation. The ex-mayor and his family were not in evidence. They had lost their source of income and took it hard. At last this tiny village nestling in chestnut forests in the pristine Andalucian mountains can become the paradise it should always have been.

The village is now a jubilant place and the annual Feria to honour the patron saint, the Virgen del Rosario, will be fabulous. The festivities begin 14th August with a day dedicated to women – those who live here and those who left during the “years of hunger” to live abroad but come back to their spiritual home in August.

The Feria proper begins on the 15th with a procession of the Virgin through the narrow streets, led by a brass band, and followed by the whole village. The rest of the week until Sunday night will be devoted to cultural activities: children's theatre, song and dance, and the band will play from midnight till dawn. Cartajima’s feria will be the BEST in the Alto Genal valley instead of the butt of jokes as in previous years.

“The village is already a sunnier place,” say the British owners of the Hotel Los Castaños, a luxurious boutique hideaway hotel in the centre of the village. “People are looking forward to the future and the feria will the first outward expression of their freedom. Be prepared to sleep all day and dance all night!”

Just 90 minutes from Málaga airport and 15 minutes from busy Ronda, the Alto Genal Valley is the best-kept secret of Andalucia. This surprisingly lush valley has seven tiny traditional white villages dotted amongst the mountainsides where limestone crags, almond and cherry orchards and sweet chestnut forests dominate. The villages, founded by the Moors after their invasion in 711, retain their traditional lifestyle and architecture.

“Few tourists come this way but those who do will experience some truly awesome scenery. "Real Spain" is an over-used expression, but this is as real as it gets!” promises Lu Gounard. co-owner of Los Castaños.

For further information and pictures, please contact:
Di Beach, Hotel Los Castaños, Calle Iglesia 40, Cartajima 29452, (Málaga), Spain
Tel: +34 952180778, Fax: +34 952180901
Email: [email protected], Website: www.loscastanos.com

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08 am

WOW! Now, THAT'S interesting.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

hotel

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Superb bit of marketing.

Love to know what lens the photographer used on the interior shots.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Rick
Would he not have been using a program that stitches various photos together. I have one called Ulead 360 that will do this?

Fred

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Yes Fred looks like a stitch up to me.
Grouser

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:10 pm

You're probably right

Being a pro tog I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of that!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:42 pm

Time you got on the case with Photoshop Rick.
Grouser

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:45 pm

I've got Adobe 5 installed

Had a look in the manual

225 pages

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Had to go and have a lie down

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Rick you need to cherry pick. If you are in the UK have a look at what your local library has to offer. There are a lot of good photoshop books that have copiously illustrated projects. Not worth buying, but get them from the library and trawl through them looking for stuff that could be useful to you, and try those things out. That way you will gradually identify the different tools and their properties, whilst doing things that are relevant to your needs.
Grouser

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks Grouse

This year I'm realy gona get my act together... honest!