Oh the water...

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
takemetothetoms

Oh the water...

Postby takemetothetoms » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:59 pm

Hi Folks,

I have a place just outside of Arcos de la Frontera, we have a water tank that gets filled from a local well but it's just SO hard. It's killing my stupid eczema and my hair and I'm constantly battling the taps with limescale treatment...and it's a Londoner preaching this 😅

Has anyone got any good options? I'm no expert on water treatments.

We're out in the campo and despite some neighbours being on mains water, Aqualia say the pipes down our track are too narrow so well water it is for now. Any advice greatly received.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Oh the water...

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:23 pm

I would buy a water softener. We had one in the UK as our water was similar, extremely hard. Our neighbours have one here but I know they are quite expensive (in 1990 in the UK I think we paid over 200 pounds for ours, plus the cost of the salt).

Here we have a cheaper solution of a filter to catch the pieces of cal that come in through the system, plus polifosfato crystals in an adjoining filter that does seems to help. Something like this
https://www.amazon.es/Filtro-Antical-Ca ... 44&sr=8-10

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:38 pm

Yes, get a proper water softener. They work really well. We have use one on our campo water supply for more than 20 years.

Sid

takemetothetoms

Postby takemetothetoms » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:54 pm

Hi both,
Good shout, had one in North London as a kid, remember it under the stairs and pouring the salt in - totally forgot about it to be honest! Will do some investigating about how I can get one in there.
Do you notice a big difference Sid? Honestly it drives me absolutely bonkers, hair looks like I've stuck my hand in a socket!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:14 pm

The proper softeners make a huge difference. Lovely lot of suds when you wash you hair with it!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:40 pm

I certainly notice the difference if I let the salt run out! Otherwise, it just works and you take it for granted.

Sid

takemetothetoms

Postby takemetothetoms » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:17 pm

Wicksey, you sold me on SUDS, what a treat. Will have a look and see what I can find and how I can install in, thanks both!