Sliced Bread.

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Sliced Bread.

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:29 pm

In an effort to resolve a dispute, sometimes heated, between my wife and I, may I ask you for your thoughts...

When cutting sliced bread, which is correct in your opinion, to cut it from corner to corner or a vertical cut horizontal or vertical ?
It may seem a trivial dispute but after 57 years of wedded blitz with regard to this matter I would appreciate your observations.
And I wonder if you can guess my method ?

Saludos,
Gordon.... at present in the doghouse for argueing with her indoors.. :(

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sliced Bread.

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:59 pm

I use a slicing machine. It cuts from side to side. If you put it in sideways it cuts from top to bottom. Take your pick - it comes out the same either way.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:11 pm

I think Gordon means how you cut the bread after it has been sliced and you have made a sandwich.
Should you end up with triangular pieces or oblong pieces?
To me, if I want normal sandwiches I cut the slices into oblongs.
If I want posh sandwiches I cut the slices into triangles.
Either way, they taste the same.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:09 pm

I would cut triangles for posh and rectangles for bacon sarnies.

Sid

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:56 pm

...all these answers assume the bread starts off as a rectangular, or even a perfectly square section.
You might have started a thread that could run and run here......
nil illegitimum carborundum

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:44 pm

You do need square bread for triangular sandwiches and I can't remember I last cut them like that. Haven't had any posh tea parties! We tend to buy rustic bread or I make my own, so it tends to be domed, so it's just cut across the middle.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:29 am

Thank you all for your interesting comments..

So really it would seem that we are both correct with our bread cutting, just down to personal choice I guess.

Pauline was brought up to cut the sliced square loaf into oblong shape, I was brainwashed by my Mother to always cut corner to corner, all about presentation , my Mum would say, but she from a very early age was involved with the catering industry.
My Mum was working in posh hotels in the Isle of Man from a very young age, she had to support my widowed Grandmother, and one of her first jobs was to slice the fresh baked bread on a huge slicing machine, then she would prepare sandwiches in the small triangular mode and present them with precision, everything inspected by the head waitress before arriving on the guests plates.
She also had to do mixed plates white bread and brown bread, usually Hovis.

I personally have always preferred brown or nutty type bread and now that I'm also the main cook in our household ,amongst other jobs, I've had to stop making our own bread and I buy mainly integral family loaves from Mercadona, 1.25 euros per loaf.
Occasionally I break with my routine and buy a big rustic loaf from our local baker and hack big chunks , smother it with best butter and make a big bacon sarnie...like Sid...
Please don't tell anyone about my moments of madness with fresh bread, it might spoil my street cred... :lol:
Saludos,
Gordon,
And I'm just off to our local bar for coffee and churros...another moment of madness.. :wink:

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:19 pm

I don't think triangular sandwiches are merely for presentation.( or, indeed "posh")
Eating a triangular one, starting at a corner, is the easiest & neatest way to scoff ones buttie.
(No worse sight,of course, than seeing someone trying to eat a "rectangular", by chomping from the middle, leaving the rest resembling a large handle-bar moustache. :wtf:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:44 pm

I'm now thinking of Ed Milliband
nil illegitimum carborundum

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:39 am

Jonbar 1
My thoughts exactly .... :thumbup:

Trooperman .....Ed Miliband .... :clap: :clap:

DannyB
Tourist

Postby DannyB » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:44 pm

I just like the thought of "wedded blitz"

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:01 pm

Danny B,
Yes 'Wedded Blitz', and occasionally we do have disagreements, usually about nothing, for instance yesterday I noted that Pauline had been raiding my personal Marmite pot which I keep in the museum for my occasional hunger attacks. :shock:
But we actually get on really well considering we've lived and worked together since the beginning of time ,well certainly since the last mid centuryish..
Who doesn't have the occasional tiff with their partners....sign of a Happy Marriage... :thumbup:
Saludos,
Gordon....Just released from the doghouse.... :wave:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:33 pm

I make a sandwich most days and don’t cut it at all.