UK Banks for Expats in Spain

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

UK Banks for Expats in Spain

Postby Dunflittin68 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:29 pm

We are moving to Spain next year to join our daughter and need to retain an English bank account for our pensions, savings etc. We have a Santander Edge Account at the moment but although Santander are in Spain, I don't believe they are inter-exchangeable and act as completely separate banks. Can anyone recommend a good British bank account that accepts payments in and transfers out into Euros and do they have charges to transfer payments to a Spanish bank account?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK Banks for Expats in Spain

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:46 pm

Why not keep your current UK bank account and then open a Wise account to exchange to euros and to transfer to your Spanish bank? We do that and it's very quick and easy online.

I have a sterling and a euro account with Wise. I transfer pounds from my UK bank to Wise which is free. There is a small charge to exchange from pounds to euros at the full bank rate. Once it is in the euro Wise account it is then free to send onto my Spanish bank.

We gave up using Nationwide for anything in Euros as it did not give the full exchange rate and also their charges were going up and up. We've saved thousands using Wise.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:11 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:46 pm Why not keep your current UK bank account and then open a Wise account to exchange to euros and to transfer to your Spanish bank? We do that and it's very quick and easy online.

I have a sterling and a euro account with Wise. I transfer pounds from my UK bank to Wise which is free. There is a small charge to exchange from pounds to euros at the full bank rate. Once it is in the euro Wise account it is then free to send onto my Spanish bank.

We gave up using Nationwide for anything in Euros as it did not give the full exchange rate and also their charges were going up and up. We've saved thousands using Wise.
I thought you had to keep a UK address to keep your UK bank account, at least that is what my daughter tells me as she used our address for her UK bank account when she moved to Spain and now does not know what she will do if NatWest refuses to accept her Spanish address on the account in the UK when we also move to Spain. :roll:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:55 pm

I have a NatWest current account. I don’t have to have a UK address and they write to me and send my cards to Spain. They also use my Spanish mobile for security purposes. They seem to be the only major bank that is not affected by Brexit. Presumably they have chosen to have the relevant EU banking licences.

Sid

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:41 pm

El Cid wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:55 pm I have a NatWest current account. I don’t have to have a UK address and they write to me and send my cards to Spain. They also use my Spanish mobile for security purposes. They seem to be the only major bank that is not affected by Brexit. Presumably they have chosen to have the relevant EU banking licences.

Sid
Sounds like my daughter's account will be OK then. Perhaps I should open an account with them also ! :D

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:31 am

I have a NatWest and Halifax account. As already posted, nothing has changed with the NatWest one since brexit . Halifax limits me to a cash machine card but allows me to transfer money easily online either using a computer or on the phone App. for the moment I only use my UK account for UK payments and my Spanish one for Spanish stuff.
I also have an Nationwide savings account and have had difficulty setting up the online service, even though they have told me I can do it. It's a bit of a pain but I will visit them to sort it out the next time I'm in the UK as I have no way of accessing the the account without the old passbook.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:28 am

markwilding wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:31 am I have a NatWest and Halifax account. As already posted, nothing has changed with the NatWest one since brexit . Halifax limits me to a cash machine card but allows me to transfer money easily online either using a computer or on the phone App. for the moment I only use my UK account for UK payments and my Spanish one for Spanish stuff.
I also have an Nationwide savings account and have had difficulty setting up the online service, even though they have told me I can do it. It's a bit of a pain but I will visit them to sort it out the next time I'm in the UK as I have no way of accessing the the account without the old passbook.
What are the fees involved in transferring sterling to a Spanish bank account from Natwest and Halifax or do you use a currency house like Wise as an intermediary?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:55 am

We're with Nationwide and they have our Spanish address and send our debit cards here OK. We have needed to keep a UK account as we've had a rental property so it's been easier to receive the rent and then pay any bills. Otherwise, we only use it to transfer money to Wise. We were told we cannot open any other type of savings account with them, but their current account works as normal.

I would set up another UK bank account if necessary whilst you're still resident there. The thing that is difficult is opening a new UK account once you're resident here, but at the moment, it seems that most of us have retained our existing UK account without too many problems.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:35 am

Wicksey wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:55 am ... it seems that most of us have retained our existing UK account without too many problems.
My UK Barclays bank account was closed last November, due to Brexit, as I no longer lived in the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:17 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:55 am We're with Nationwide and they have our Spanish address and send our debit cards here OK. We have needed to keep a UK account as we've had a rental property so it's been easier to receive the rent and then pay any bills. Otherwise, we only use it to transfer money to Wise. We were told we cannot open any other type of savings account with them, but their current account works as normal.

I would set up another UK bank account if necessary whilst you're still resident there. The thing that is difficult is opening a new UK account once you're resident here, but at the moment, it seems that most of us have retained our existing UK account without too many problems.
Yes i think we are going to have to sort it out before we give up our UK address. Just another thing to add to the list of "Things to do before leaving the UK" ! :roll:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:55 pm

gerryh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:35 am
Wicksey wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:55 am ... it seems that most of us have retained our existing UK account without too many problems.
My UK Barclays bank account was closed last November, due to Brexit, as I no longer lived in the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
You seem to be the unlucky one Gerry, as most of us posting haven't had any problems. You can always have a Wise sterling account.

KKKaty
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KKKaty » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:52 am

Chase bank is good.