Buying a property and AFO's

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ella102

Buying a property and AFO's

Postby Ella102 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 am

We are interested in purchasing a property but it needs an AFO. Vendors are wanting us to get the AFO after we buy (they will start the process) and we will adjust offer price. Anyone have experience of doing this?

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Buying a property and AFO's

Postby Trooperman » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:45 pm

There might be circumstances where the AFO cannot be granted....as far as I know, it's not a given.......and further work and other permissions may be necessary in order for the property to comply with the requirements of an AFO........and they're not a given either.

My advice? Don't do it!

I'm thinking of such things as septic tank drainage, location relevant to ancient rights of way, Natural Park authorities etc. etc.

Just speaking from experience.

BUT, whilst you say "it needs an AFO", it's perfectly possible to buy a property without such a document, but the price you pay should reflect this
nil illegitimum carborundum

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:24 pm

Ask yourself why they want you to get the AFO after purchase. My advice would be to agree with Trooperman, it could cost you dearly. So much has been built without planning I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Town Halls can be very strict, more so these days unless you are family to the mayor (just joking!)

DannyB
Tourist

Postby DannyB » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:49 pm

When we bought the vendor arranged ,and paid for, the AFO. When the septic tank was declared inadequate the vendors had to replace it with a new one. I would want a very confident solicitor and a very good price before I would agree

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:59 pm

There is one potential advantage of buying without the DAFO. It does mean that you can carry out some extensions or modifications and then get them included in the DAFO when you apply for it. Once the DAFO has been issued there is no way you can make any changes.

Either option is fraught with potential problems, but that is the case when you buy any non-urban property.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:02 pm

What's a AFO and a DAFO?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:09 pm

Lavanda wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:02 pm What's a AFO and a DAFO?
This explains it.
https://www.sunsetproperties-spain.com/ ... o,108.html

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:42 pm

Excellent link. Seems like a good idea in principle but I can imagine it taking ages to get one in some places.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:43 pm

ah. DAFO.

My architect submitted all technical documents and photos in december 2022 for our campo house. Paid the town hall fee april 2023. The latest demand is for water purification system to be installed as, when mains water is cut off, we use water from our deposito - another €1600. Hopefully we will then be granted the long awaited DAFO.

Its been a tortuous process but we have Cava on ice for the glorious moment of success. I suppose then we will have to get the escritorio changed so the process continues...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:37 pm

As we don't have mains water I guess we wouldn't get one? There is no drinking water supply in this area but houses have managed to get DAFOs although most of the new places springing up around here are not legal.

The worst thing for us would be to have to install a septic tank as our pozo negro works just fine. Friends who do have one have dreadful smells because they don't seem to know how to install them properly here. One has just been deposited by the side of the track at a house across the valley. It is sitting in full sun and does not have any weeper pipes feeding from it. We just hope that whenever we sell we are lucky to find someone who doesn't want a DAFO as we do know of a couple of people who have sold without one. As stated earlier, some people are advised to wait until they've bought and done any work they want to it before applying.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:37 am

We went from a pozo negro to a septic tank, Wicksey, and the only thing is that they need to be emptied every few years depending on how many people use it. We are a couple. It get’s emptied every two years. Occasionally, in the Summer, there is a slight smell for a day or two but the ventilation pipe is rather ugly. The pozo negro was completely invisible, never smelled and never needed emptying. Totally natural.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:05 am

We have a proper two chamber septic tank. It has never smelled and in 23 years it has never needed to be emptied.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:22 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:05 am We have a proper two chamber septic tank. It has never smelled and in 23 years it has never needed to be emptied.

Sid
Sid, you are one of the few campo dwellers on here that have a properly built house!

We have had houses with septic tanks for the past 35 years, in the UK, France and here. When they are working and installed correctly they shouldn't need emptying. The pozo negros we've had at properties here and never been a problem at all (the household pipework has been a different story though!).

The houses that we have encountered locally that do have the plastic septic tanks are absolute stinkers at times. As I say, the one across the valley we could see being 'installed' (I use that term loosely) and it was simply put down close to the track and you can see the large grey pipe from the house going into it. Being practically on the track there doesn't seem to be any exiting pipes at all. I guess they put it there for easy emptying. There was a pozo negro at that house but since it's changed hands I've seen the lorry there a couple of times emptying it. I guess they are putting all sorts of stuff down the drains and blocking them, so a new septic tank will still suffer if they don't treat it properly.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:00 am

We have a strange three chamber septic tank but it definitely needs to be emptied every two years (or so). It's not a big palaver as I ring the local company that does it, they arrive with a tanker-like vehicle, do it with tubes and go. The cost is around €200. I wish I had known about the sort you have Sid, as that sounds much better.