Spanish tv by dish

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Spanish tv by dish

Postby olive » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:58 pm

We currently have a ( very) comprehensive Spanish tv setup , courtesy of Movistar. We will shortly be ditching their 4G internet which is useless during the numerous busy times of the day and severing mobile, internet and tv. So no doubt they will baja the viewing card at best and at worst actually recover the set top box with its hard drive for recording programmes.I doubt they would recover the dish.

My question is around the simplest way of retaining basic free to air channels . If they do want the settop box back is it just a case of buying an after market set top box?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish tv by dish

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:48 pm

You just need a TDT set top box and antenna assuming you can receive a terrestrial signal.

Alternatively Spanish channels are on satellite (Astra 1 I think) and there are plenty of cheap STBs.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:07 am

TV aerial (possibly with amplifier) should get you around 40 ish free spanish tv channels via a TV aerial (as long as your area is covered by a local transmitter or repeater).

Spanish channels via satellite are encrypted.
You need either a Movistar subscription (you can ditch all their other things and just keep the satellite part), a TDT para satellite card and decoder ( a bit like UK Freesat service, but the channels are encrpyted and needs the card to unlock), or a "special" (ie cardshare / pirated) satellite receiver.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:51 pm

Thanks. I have terrestrial tv aerial but it kept losing Canal Sur whenever we had a gale.

Will explore the just Movistar tv option. Might be back in a few weeks for a satellite solution