Buying a used scooter

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Kelv1n

Buying a used scooter

Postby Kelv1n » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:28 pm

Hi All

First, hello to everybody, this my first post, so please forgive any mistakes.

We've just moved to Spain from the UK, to a small town about 20 minutes from Motril (towards Malaga). The one downside is our house is in an old-town, so up a long and steep hill, tucked into a narrow side road which barely gives 2 inch clearance for our Fiesta - So we are investigating the idea of getting a 125cc scooter to run small errands. I'm really hoping somebody here can advise and perhaps answer a few questions

• Are there any well established websites that people advertise scooters for sale? (i.e. AutoTrader equivilant)
  • Are there any recommendations for shops that sell used/refurb scooters?
  • Somebody on another site, suggested if its a private sale, we should write contract for proof of purchase.. is this a thing?
  • Do I need a NIE to purchase? (We have submitted for residency)
  • We both hold UK licenses, is there still a need to switch from a UK to Spanish license?
Thank you

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Buying a used scooter

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:19 pm

Kelv1n wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:28 pm
  • Are there any well established websites that people advertise scooters for sale? (i.e. AutoTrader equivilant)
  • Are there any recommendations for shops that sell used/refurb scooters?
  • Somebody on another site, suggested if its a private sale, we should write contract for proof of purchase.. is this a thing?
  • Do I need a NIE to purchase? (We have submitted for residency)
  • We both hold UK licenses, is there still a need to switch from a UK to Spanish license?
  • yes, milanuncios, wallapop, coches.net, facebook market place / local buy/sell/swap pages, amongst others, and not in any particular order.
  • theres tons in malaga, probably your best bet is nerja or torre del mar / rincon de la victoria ?
  • no, you can do it with a passport, legally, but most people will require an NIE and a padron.
  • yes, yes and yes. you can download "compra/venta" contracts from the internet. they are the vendor, you are the comprador
  • of course, but its not that easy post brexit. I think they changed it, then changed it back to allow it. contact a gestor at a gestorias office
hope that helps

james
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:51 pm

Which town are you in? Do you have a motorcycle licence? In Spain you can drive a 125cc scooter with a car licence, so long as you have had it for three years.

Sid

Kelv1n

Postby Kelv1n » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:19 am

Hi Sid,

Thanks for replying.. I'm in Salobreña, we've both held UK car licences for over 20 years, but no motorbike licence.

I'd be happy buying privately, but my Spanish is very rudimentary, so finding a shop that sells used 125cc scooters would probably be more suitable... if anybody could recommend a place, I'd appreciate it, we've got a car, so I'm happy to drive, especially if it's somwhere between Malaga and Motril.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:27 am

I live in La Herradura. There is a bike/scooter place on the right hand side at the top of the main access road. I have no idea if they are any good, but they always have loads of used scooters outside and seem very busy. There will be a good chance that they speak English.

Sid