Forum research

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Forum research

Postby katy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:52 pm

Are there any research projects about people who use Fora? Just noticed Steve and Yvonnes post which touched on this. A few things interest me.

Why do some people use them and others read but never post? My husband has only ever been on one forum one time to ask a question.

Why do some who post on many fora use a different name on each/or why do they have several names on one forum?

Why do some fora appear very clicky and huggy? Why do some posters get really uptight about forum trivia if they disagree. It seems like a lot of questions but it intrigues me. Have to admit when there is a spat I read it more as I find them amusing but still read them when its quiet too.

Dealer
Resident

Re: Forum research

Postby Dealer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:26 pm

katy wrote:Why do some who post on many fora use a different name on each/or why do they have several names on one forum?
I post here and on another forum and on both I am Dealer as that is my name and there can only be one :shock: :shock: !

I post to trap females who want a good time with no strings attached :wink: Has it worked? No not yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Forums

Postby Julie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:01 pm

I use my own name on this forum and on others now, but before i retired i used my mums first name as if someone had put my name into google , my name adddress and telephone number came out at the top of the list, so really it was just a safety precaution, i know i would of needed to say what i did for a living etc, but that can happen when you get chatting.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Yes, there is always the obvious too, your name has already been taken. Wonder how names are chosen, I have joined a couple, chosen a name and then about a month afterewards can't remember my user name so I think sod it and don't bother posting.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:03 pm

My username was easy, just my childhood nickname and my year of birth......ooops! :oops: given a bit too much away there.

I think a lot of people read and don't post because they feel intimidated and not everyone is good with words (myself included) so they don't want to embarrass themselves . My hubby is dyslexic (spelling? :lol: ) so wouldn't dream of posting much as he would love to :roll:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:15 pm

I think a lot of people read and don't post because they feel intimidated
Yes I think thats true... I hate it when someone picks up a spelling mistake... unless its funny...and there are many more like your husband who would love to add their bit and don´t because of it... and that does not mean that they don´t have something good to say... tell your dyslexic hubby to post... (climb every mountain...) he can all ways use the spell check..and anyway no one will know who he is. Never a good idea to use real names or give out personal details... My name came from a plate on the wall :)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:35 pm

My name came from a plate on the wall
Awe! And I thought it was the Lone Ranger's horse! :P

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Thanks Silver, good advice as always, I will tell him to have a go :)

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:49 pm

I don't understand why some people join forums and then don't post - can understand that some people just prefer to read and glean information, just don't see the point in joining unless you intend to post.

I think it is a shame that some members might feel too intimidated to post - this is cyber space after all, so what if someone makes a snide remark, just reply in kind or ignore it :lol:

Including this one, I belong to 3 forums relating to my interests - on all of them, I don't use my real christian name (a friend used her real name, including her surname, and foolishly gave out too much personal info on a forum - she was targeted by a cyber space psycho, who tracked down her home address and plagued her with nuisance phone calls) I am still me though!!

Also, I can't see the point of anyone having more than one ID on the same forum - unless it is for mischevious (to put it politely :lol: ) reasons.

Edit - thanks for the PM pointing out my spelling mistake, MISCHIEVOUS, happy now? :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Megan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg - Sunny by nature

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:12 pm

I also use a childhood nickname but use the same one whenever a user name is required, if I'm allowed to, too many of us Cassandra's about :roll:

My sister once got so fed up with trying to register with her real name she put in 'i want my own name dammit' and it got accepted :?

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:49 pm

Re names etc.

Rick Gale is my real name

Thank you

Richard Bingham

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Scout. :D

What's the prize. :?: :lol: :lol:

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:52 pm

Megan wrote:I don't understand why some people join forums and then don't post - can understand that some people just prefer to read and glean information, just don't see the point in joining unless you intend to post.

I think it is a shame that some members might feel too intimidated to post - this is cyber space after all, so what if someone makes a snide remark, just reply in kind or ignore it :lol:

Including this one, I belong to 3 forums relating to my interests - on all of them, I don't use my real christian name (a friend used her real name, including her surname, and foolishly gave out too much personal info on a forum - she was targeted by a cyber space psycho, who tracked down her home address and plagued her with nuisance phone calls) I am still me though!!

Also, I can't see the point of anyone having more than one ID on the same forum - unless it is for mischevious (to put it politely :lol: ) reasons.
I agree with everything that Megan has said. The only thing I could add is that I would have serious mental health concerns about someone with a multiply ID - especially if they find they have a need to talk to themselves :?

I have found that people with dyslexia have a natural aversion to anything to do with reading and writing. They certainly would not want to join a forum where people were constantly correcting other members.

If anyone's interested I got my username from a barge which was parked up in Lymm, Cheshire. Then when we bought our place in the sun the relevance of the name became quite appropriate.

I think some members who never post are people who come across the site, think they'll make use of it then forget all about it.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:56 am

The whole multiple id thing surprise me--why do they do it? and---do they really think that the rest of us don't know who they are?? It is truly bizarre.
I spend each and every day at work talking to people and advising them... it is LOVELY to relax here each night to read what others have to say (apart from the snipers!) I don't have anything to contribute yet as i haven't moved to Spain permanently but i do enjoy looking at what other people have to say. I am registered IN CASE i ever have anything of use/important to me to say.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:40 am

costapacket wrote:If anyone's interested I got my username from a barge which was parked up in Lymm, Cheshire.
I saw a photo of that barge parked in Fathoms :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now be gentle! :shock:

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:17 am

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 am

costapacket wrote::evil: :evil: :evil:
Looks like I got away lightly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rage

Postby Rage » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:00 pm

costapacket wrote:

If anyone's interested I got my username from a barge which was parked up in Lymm, Cheshire. Then when we bought our place in the sun the relevance of the name became quite appropriate.

I think some members who never post are people who come across the site, think they'll make use of it then forget all about it.
Funny you should say about the barge Costa. Because I sailed a lot on the Thames Estuary I knew some of the names of the old Thames Sailing barges. Many of them were double barreled names ending in May. Edith May, Stella May - that sort of thing. My first yacht had been named (by the previous owner) Jane May. Was always a bit of a joke with some of my pals who would come out with expressions such as "Jane May but Janet / Paula / whoever certainly will". Needless to say the second name would always be a women that we knew!!!! :lol: :lol:
If you want to do something, do it or have regrets.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 pm

I think boat names are traditionally forenames so May must have been a common second forename.
Jane May but Janet / Paula / whoever certainly will
or Janet / Paula may not.........a bit like Janet Wood but Paula Woodn't. :lol: :lol: