Madrid to Budapest

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Madrid to Budapest

Postby Lavanda » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:21 pm

Has anyone any idea how to get from Madrid to Budapest without a change of flights and the whole journey taking seven hours, please? I've tried all the 'usual' airlines including flying TAP from Lisbon. Any ideas, anyone? (PS Going by train takes 42 hours with five changes.)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Madrid to Budapest

Postby markwilding » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:32 pm

I went a couple of years ago with Ryanair from Santander.
I just checked the apps and there are regular flights from Madrid with them.
I don’t know if you have been to Budapest before but the airport is a 30 minute bus ride from the centre of the city.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:25 pm

Thanks, Mark. I've never been to Budapest and nor has an old girlfriend/work colleague who lives in London. We thought we would have a few days somewhere we have never been before. I'll check RyanAir from Madrid. My other option is to fly to Heathrow and get on the same plane as my friend and do it that way. At least we could share the taxi from the airport to the centre.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:58 pm

Looks like regular flights to Budapest from Sevilla or Madrid with Ryanair. (Also from Malaga as it's somewhere I've considered visiting too. Like you, I meet a girlfriend from England somewhere different, and Ryanair go to a wide range of countries from here these days.)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:46 am

Ryan Air? Never flown with them but I will look them up. Seville would be good for me. Thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:41 am

Taxi drivers in Budapest are terrible for ripping off tourists. Do your homework on costs of journeys.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:04 am

Lavanda wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:46 am Ryan Air? Never flown with them but I will look them up. Seville would be good for me. Thanks.
I've probably flown with them the most, particularly as they fly from Malaga to numerous countries now. It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't get anywhere much from here, but they've certainly opened up the airways to us. Had a great trip to Italy with them last autumn.

As with all 'low cost' airlines now, you do have to check what's included, ie usually only a smaller carry on rucksack type bag on board now, and if you want to take your wheely bag on board then you'll need to pay. We use Vueling and Ryanair mostly, and they're both the same now. We pay for priority as we only take hand luggage, so that way get a rucksack and small wheely case on board each. We never take hold luggage, but that's just our preference.
costakid wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:41 am Taxi drivers in Budapest are terrible for ripping off tourists. Do your homework on costs of journeys.
There's usually a shuttle bus or public transport from the airport rather than use a taxi. Some info here
https://budapest-international-airport. ... r-to-city/

When we were in Italy we needed a taxi to the airport when leaving as it was bit early and the Airbnb host gave us details of a taxi company that we could book in advance, with an agreed set price. I'm sure a bit of Googling will come up with some ideas.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:18 pm

As I said in my earlier post, In Budapest it is better to take a bus due to the fact the city is not very big and the bus is very quick. If you haven’t booked a hotel, you could do no worse than the Hilton, which is very central next to the mainline train station.

I know people who visit Vienna while there as it’s only a few hours away.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:14 am

Very good tips. Thank you, Mark. Will definitely look at the Hilton. Central for us is important.