The world has gone mad!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

The world has gone mad!!!

Postby gavilan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:09 pm

just read this ...
https://www-axarquiaplus-es.translate.g ... _tr_pto=sc
a better use of the money might be to provide more buses ... I would add that just above where we live, there has been a bus stop with a roof shelter ... been there for years ..but there has never been a bus!!!

and down on the outskirts of Vinuela, the Town Hall has built an iron bridge ... no raging torrent underneath, no pedestrians who might need protection from the busy traffic on the adjacent road, I cannot see any possible reason for such a bridge!

in addittion, just along the lane from us, olive trees on a very steep hillside were bulldozed down to make way for a new cement road ... it goes nowhere ... goes up from our lane to a farmhouse ... not to a new poligono, nor fancy new hacienda ... and it is very very steep ... I have seen only one vehicle come down in the months that it has been there ...

I am thinking of writing another book ... not about the history of this area but about all the stupid, useless but waste-of-money projects that have been created here in the last year or so!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: The world has gone mad!!!

Postby gavilan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:52 pm

and i forgot to mention ... Velez Malaga is considering making the town a low emissions zone ... but to offset the inconvenience, they will reconnect the tram to Torre del Mar

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:38 pm

gavilan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:52 pm and i forgot to mention ... Velez Malaga is considering making the town a low emissions zone ... but to offset the inconvenience, they will reconnect the tram to Torre del Mar
The tram is gone forever

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:43 pm

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:09 pm

I saw that article today .... madness. I don't use buses but from where I see the tram lines running, I'm pretty sure that buses cover that same route (along the coast road, up to the hosital and up to Velez). The places where trams are so useful and regularly used is where they go out of town or to the next town (as an example, the journey by tram from Santa Cruz de Tenerife up to San Cristobel de La Laguna was 40 mins for about 2€ - well used and really useful - recommended if you are ever there). We would love to be able to get into Malaga or just further along the coast in that direction by tram but the existing lines just rattle through the town centres of Torre and Velez. I always thought the whole project was a huge white elephant and wasn't surprised when it shut down. I thought they'd sold all the trams. All in the name of saving emissions I see. Changing the buses to electric would have been a better use of money I would have thought.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:55 pm

Not a chance that will be reinstalled. They sold all the rolling stock to somewhere like Canada for a loss of millions. Also nobody ever used it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:23 pm

I found out that the trams were leased to Australia but have now been returned.
"Services on the line were operated by three CAF Urbos 2 trams. These were leased for use on the Inner West Light Rail line in Sydney, Australia entering service in March 2014.[7][8][9] Following the introduction of new CAF Urbos 3s, they were withdrawn from service in July 2015 and returned to Spain."
The cost of shipping them out there and back must have been huge.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: The purpose of public investment in steep, narrow concrete roads that go nowhere — and we have them here — is to enrich local contractors and provide back-handers to local council members. It's not about benefits to the public. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:03 pm

No idea what that thick grey line is doing at the end of my post or where it came from.