Oleanders

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
ashtondav
Resident

Oleanders

Postby ashtondav » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:22 pm

I’m impressed by the vigorous oleanders planted in the central reservations of motorways here. I can see absolutely no sign of irrigation pipes. Are they that drought tolerant?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Oleanders

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:34 pm

You will find that they are irrigated. They are pretty drought tolerant once established. I have a row of about 40. I planted them 20 years ago and are now about 4m high. The miniature ones are also great for a smaller garden.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:51 pm

I think they look lovely in the central reservations. We have a few planted but i have to keep cutting them back. They are great if the intention is to use them as a screen for privacy. A neighbour just up the road from us has been reforming a number of caves for holiday homes, he has planted them just outside the property boundary and has upset another neighbour because he said they should not have been planted where the goats can get to them, he said they are poisonous.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:12 pm

They are very poisonous. Goats eat anything so the guy is probably right. If you ate one leaf it would kill you. Luckily our local goats don’t come onto our property and cats and dogs seem clever enough to avoid them.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:23 pm

We have a few on our border and the goats are very clever - they never touch them!