Astra satellite 19.2 E or 28.2E for BBC HD

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

Astra satellite 19.2 E or 28.2E for BBC HD

Postby fyfin » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:53 am

I bought an HD box relatively cheap €35 and did a scan of Astra 19.2E , it's come up with Astra 1KR, 1L, 1M and I'm getting BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD etc and I'm totally happy as all seems OK, even most mornings except for a very short time at this time of year as you'd expect.
I have a 1.9 mtr dish here in Turre, Almeria.

The weird thing is when I look at the Astra 28.2E I'm still getting a decent signal intensity and quality and I can't see how that is possible or am I being a bit thick. I though digital had to be precise not like old analogue systems so I thought I'd get nothing on 28.2 E 1N, 2A, 2F. Also Google seems to say different.

My mate who bought the same box is not picking up the HD channels at all at any time. I set the box up for him and scanned both satellites just to be sure and when I had his box here I was picking the HD channels up no problem.
I've told him it's either his dish needs aligned or his lnb needs changing or moved. He gets the other SD channels so I thought more likely alignment.

I'm hoping Satandpcguy can explain this lol
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: Astra satellite 19.2 E or 28.2E for BBC HD

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:16 pm

The UK versions of BBC HD channels are on Astra 2e, 2f 2g at 28 east.
They are NOT on Astra 1 at 19 east, which is more European based channels

Sounds like your dish is aligned to Astra 2 (for the UK channels), and you have simply done a scan on your receiver under Astra 1 (and thinking you are getting Astra 1 channels, when in fact your are not, as Astra 1 carries French, German, Spanish and many other countries channels, but no UK channels)

Just because you are scanning Astra 1 on your receiver does not mean it is picking up signals from Astra 1, especially when your dish is aligned to Astra 2, where the UK channels are located!!!

ie you can do a scan of Hispsat at 30 west on your receiver, and it will still pick up the UK channels, your dish is aligned to Astra 2 at 28 east for the UK channels, and not the channels on Hispasat!

ie 2 You could name a satellite Fred on your receiver, and do a scan...and it will still pick up whichever channels it can receive from the satellites your dish is aligned to.

When looking at "signal strengths and quality" they will vary. Depending which frequency you are looking at, which is affected by which satellite, beam, polarisation, frequency it is on. Eg Sky News frequency is on the european beam and easy to receive, so will show strong signal levels..where as BBCs will show much lower signal levels as they are on different (UK) beams

If your friends box picks up the uk channels on your dish, but not his dish, then either his dish is too small, not aligned correctly, old LNB, bad LNB skew, poor cable (copper much better than cheap aluminium).
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

fyfin
Resident

Re: Astra satellite 19.2 E or 28.2E for BBC HD

Postby fyfin » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:37 pm

Well, that makes sense. I always thought I was getting the channels on 19.2E. Thank you for clarification. At least I told my mate the right thing lol
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it