Mystery data usage

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Mystery data usage

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 pm

Our Orange phone is nearly always on flight mode as we do not have much coverage at our house, plus no one ever phones us as we use WhatsApp for everything. We only put it on phone for the odd occasions we need to retrieve a security code.

So when my small PAYG balance started to disappear I queried it and found that data had been used every few days since 27 March up until yesterday. I argued that my phone is never on data and rarely on at all. I sent a screenshot of the data usage showing zero usage for April. The lady on the Orange chat spent over two hours dealing with me but in the end could only offer to deactivate data on my phone to stop it being used. I did not fully understand her explanation and still don't know who was using it. Thankfully only 60 cents a time but it's used much of my credit.

This is her final response
He consultado la opción de abono y no corresponde como te indicaba antes. Al ser conexiones o actualizaciones del terminal, no podemos gestionar el abono. He consultado todas las opciones pero no es posible.

Puedo desconectar el servicio de navegación de tu movil para que no se vuelva a realizar conexiones y no vuelva a cobrarse.

Google translate says:
I have consulted the subscription option and it does not correspond as I indicated before. As these are connections or terminal updates, we cannot manage the subscription. I have consulted all the options but it is not possible.

I can disconnect the navigation service from your cell phone so that connections are not made again and charges are not charged again.

I'm still none the wiser :crazy:

knowal
Resident

Re: Mystery data usage

Postby knowal » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:10 pm

I would change providers.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mystery data usage

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 pm

I was doing OK with my other Movistar number but when I tried to add the Bono Navega to my PAYG tariff (which is 1MB of data for 7 days for 2€) it keeps saying I can't as it is only for PAYG tariffs! I added it late last year without any problems but Movistar do not have the chat system that Orange does, so I am unable to easily contact them.