Healthcare in Spain

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Healthcare in Spain

Postby karandjon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. 2 people i know are having trouble with the healthcare for their little ones.

One has private health insurance for her and her husband, but because their child was born here in Spain, she was under the impression that she was entitled to free healthcare until the child is 18. she has a green medical card for her. However, the local centro de salud says she has been taken off the system now as the mother and father arent registered there. Is this right? They say there is no entitlement unless either the mother or father is entitled, too.

the other one is separated and lives on her own with 2 children. Her children have also been taken off the computer at their local helath centre also, along with herself, as her husband has left her and is no longer paying into the system. She doesnt pay into the system, doesnt claim anything, and only has the money her parents and ex-husband sends her each month, to live on. She doesnt work, having the 2 little ones at home. Should the children still be entitled to the healthcare? should she?

any info for them would be appreciated.

Thanks.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

gus-lopez
Resident

Re: Healthcare in Spain

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Can't help with the 1st couple but the 2nd she be able to register under ' extranjeros titular sin recursos.' She should be able to do it through the social welfare official in the main health centre. Here you can do it yourself, needing to obtain a social security number, copy of padron less than 90 days old, green form that replaced the old residencia card showing you are registered on the 'foreigners with right to reside'.
This is from an abogado on another forum.
http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costalu ... spain.aspx
Todos somos Lorca.

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Sorry, just to get this clear, your friends are prepared to pay for private health care / insurance for themselves but NOT their child !

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 pm

hi gus - thanks for the link. it says 2008 though, so am not sure if things could have changed since then?

Bowler - as far as i know, they are covered by his work paying it. I assume they felt no need to pay when their child was getting great healthcare provided for her. Am not sure what your point is....it certainly isnt helpful, but thank you for bringing this back to the top of the list...hopefully someone else will see the enquiry and have further 'helpful' info to add. :twisted:

Thanks again gus. appreciated. will pass that on to them :thumbup:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 am

Does anyone have any info about the first point mentioned here? It would be so useful to know what some of the rules are (this week) in Spain!
My mother is attending Spanish evening classes in the Old Country with course materials supplied by the Spanish Ministry of Education. She recently sent me her homework which was an official article published in January of this year claiming that the Social Security provides universal health cover and that waiting lists are not a problem. I provided her with the information she needed to thoroughly disrupt her next class - the pensioner friends who've been turned away from the ambulatorio after living and working here for 15 years, the family member who has been waiting for an operation for four and a half years...
As I've said so many times before, I'll obey the rules, but I'd just like someone to tell me what they are!