Changing name on NIE on marriage

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Changing name on NIE on marriage

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:29 pm

A query from an ex-pat board up here in Murcia: how can a woman change the name on her NIE following marriage? Of course this does not affect Spaniards as they usually keep the same name.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Cádiz
Resident

Re: Changing name on NIE on marriage

Postby Cádiz » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:21 am

peteroldracer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:29 pm A query from an ex-pat board up here in Murcia: how can a woman change the name on her NIE following marriage? Of course this does not affect Spaniards as they usually keep the same name.
I think the easy option would be add the husbands surname...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:07 pm

My wife's surname is different from mine as she has kept her parents name, which is normal here. What I always find odd though is my son's surname because I always think of him with my surname but he has both mine and my wife's on his DNI, Spanish passport and on most letters.

In the case of an ex-pat though, I would imagine it would still need changing if she intends to change it on her passport. When I got married in the UK, my wife changed many of her UK documents to my name, which at the time didn't present too many issues but as time went on especially after 9/11 when ID became important because it became more and more difficult to prove who she was.

Going into a bank and showing a passport with a different name on her ID to her account name was particularly problematic.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:10 pm

She could try getting it added to her passport under 'Also known as'. I did this as my previous married name had been used on various documents (purchase of house in Spain, Spanish bank account etc) as my hubby & I weren't married at that point. It was some years ago now, but as I recall it was fairly painless. I still have the odd account in my previous married name, together with credit ards in both names, so it is simple for me to prove who I am !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Steffi787

Postby Steffi787 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:05 pm

Just done this. I am British and my new wife German, both Spanish residents. She had to go to the German consulate first and change her name in Germany to mine, get new passport issued and certificate issued. Then, got gestor to arrange papers and appointment at foreigners office in Cordoba to change her name on NIE and resident’s certificate. She had to go in person to complete but that’s all. If you don’t change the latter name-wise you will have problems. It’s a relatively easy process but if you don’t do it you could have issues later with wills etc. that would prolong probate etc.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:48 pm

I have three different 'names' on different things. My passport is in my official name as I added my husbands on marriage. My UK bank cards are in this name. Unfortunately, I already had my NIE in my maiden name and that did not change. My Spanish bank cards are in my NIE name. My health card is another version of my NIE name but including my middle Christian name. Ditto my TIE. It's a bit of a mess but I asked how to change it once and was told not to worry. As all of my Spanish things are more-or-less the same I do not foresee future problems — but I may be wrong.