Carnival 2024

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Carnival 2024

Postby Lavanda » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:31 am

Yesterday we had the Carnival procession in the village. Wow! So many people made a huge effort and there were 22 groups with all the usual suspects.

The procession was led by a friend on a souped-up quad. He was a Rajah with a whole harem of girls in Indian costumes. Another friend was in a group of monkeys dressed in suits. We had groups of Red Indians, tinted-up tribes of various sorts including blacked-up Rastafarians with dreadlocks, junior schoolgirls dressed as mad professors in grey wigs and white coats, lots of men dressed as women and lots of women dressed as provocatively as possible. Animals were well-represented with dalmatians, dragons, strange creatures and even pigs. We also had a group of Ferrari girls pushing a Michael Schumacher dummy in a Ferrari pram done up like a FI car.

We had every known politically incorrect thing imaginable but everyone of them was properly represented. Everyone had a wonderful time because everyone understood it was fantasy, make-believe and fun and, most importantly, the Spanish don’t give a stuff when they are in Fiesta mode.

I am so happy we live here!!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Carnival 2024

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:27 pm

I've never been to carnaval in all the years I've lived here. Ther weather has often been awful, yesterday was so incredibly windy here that we barely stepped foot outside all day and I think a number of nearby towns had parades. One day I will make the effort to come down off the hillside!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:53 pm

We were at Cartagena carnival last night. Absolutely mad.

The engendered community spirit is something money could not buy. Amazing costumes, choreography. At least a half of the vast crowd watching were in outfits. They were lucky with the weather. The night before was unhealthily windy…..

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:04 pm

Sounds wonderful! We had a strong glacial wind as well but nothing stopped the Carnival.