Metal edging to terracing in campo

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Metal edging to terracing in campo

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:52 pm

I have seen it around for years but only in small stretches. A neighbour across the hill is installing miles of the stuff all along the edge of the terracing where his mango trees are. It's about 18" high and secured with metal rods hammered into the ground and runs along the very edge of the soil terracing. I'm sure someone said years ago it was something to do with chameleons, but I'm not sure why :think:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: Metal edging to terracing in campo

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:02 pm

my spanish neighbours made terrace edging from similar material a couple of years ago ... in the old dayss, that terrace edging would have been made from the surrounding rocks and stones ... and lasted for years ...my neighbour's are already collapsing cos the soil is so dry and crumbly

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:33 pm

So is it just a support? I've just had another look and it sits just in from the edge, so sits up above the ground without any soil behind it. Perhaps it hold the earth back from drifting off the edge, or if it should (ever) happen to rain? Must say it all looks pretty ugly as a lot of it is shiny and glints in the sun.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:35 pm

Don’t forget, the countryside in Spain exists solely for the exploitation by farmers.

Any land not suitable for farming is declared a national park and is given protection

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:49 am

There's loads of it, all along the motorway by the new junction to almogia. It seems to be everywhere at the moment. I thought it would be to stop rabbits or dogs? But they might just dig under it ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.