JUNK Folder

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jonbar.1
Resident

JUNK Folder

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:45 am

As long as I can remember I have received Spam/ unsafe emails into my "Junk" folder.On average around 2-3 per day.( a pretty universal occurence I believe )
In the last 2 weeks,however, I have reveived NONE. :think:
Although it sounds good not to get Spams,I'm a bit concerned.
I tried Google but found no good answers.
I even chatted with Microsoft : they said that "no spams means that the Outlook filtering is working well"
This sounded like an easy way out!....surely if it was working,suspect emails would be dispatched to my "Junk" folder !
I have no other problems with sending or receiving emails.
Has anyone else had "No Junk Mail" recently.?
( It helps to feel that I'm not alone :D )
JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: JUNK Folder

Postby Enrique » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:26 am

Good morning jonbar.1,

Microsoft gave you the correct answer........ they have finally tightened up their Spam filters.

I use Google Mail server and maybe get one email in my Spam folder a month , and even that's a ligit email.

So rest easy and get out a bit more..................... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:50 am

Thankyou Enrique
...I was waiting for your words if wisdom :thumbup:
Strange that the Microsoft bloke didn't tell me that!
Oddly enough I did get 2 emails in " Junk".... but they were actually from my " safe-senders" list! (now rectified by taking them out of spam).
In other words: they're not putting junk into the junk folder....but they are sentencing some legitimate senders to it!
I am still a little curious though.......
If they have " tightened up their filters"what exactly are they doing with the the spams if they are not consigning them to the junk folder.? :think:
Cheers JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:57 am

Hi jonbar.1,

The "junk" emails will be Filtered out on the Outlook server and binned there and not sent on to your Junk Folder.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:02 am

:thumbup: Good.
Cheers Enrique.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 am

jonbar.1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:45 am As long as I can remember I have received Spam/ unsafe emails into my "Junk" folder.On average around 2-3 per day.( a pretty universal occurence I believe )
In the last 2 weeks,however, I have reveived NONE. :think:
Although it sounds good not to get Spams,I'm a bit concerned.
I tried Google but found no good answers.
I even chatted with Microsoft : they said that "no spams means that the Outlook filtering is working well"
This sounded like an easy way out!....surely if it was working,suspect emails would be dispatched to my "Junk" folder !
I have no other problems with sending or receiving emails.
Has anyone else had "No Junk Mail" recently.?
( It helps to feel that I'm not alone :D )
JB
I use Outlook and rarely get any junk emails. Had a few in the past few weeks, but it is not a daily occurrence.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:25 am

Cheers Wicksey.
I also use Outlook.
I was mainly concerned that,having received up to 3 spams a day for years, it suddenly went down to none!...why?
(Apparently 3-a-day is peanuts......the average is around 20 a day per person!)

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:58 am

Enrique wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:57 am

The "junk" emails will be Filtered out on the Outlook server and binned there and not sent on to your Junk Folder.
Of course, the problem could now be: what about the occasional bona-fide email which is accidentally sent to your Junk folder?.... you will now, possibly, not see it!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:22 pm

Hi jonbar.1,
"you will now, possibly, not see it!".................. so treat Junk Folder like a normal one and check it when you check the your in Box.

You can setup Gmail to display all your Folders ,,,,,,,,,, so the Spam Folder will Display if there is anything in there.

This may help you................... Outlook

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... e6a736e154

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:40 pm

I always check the Junk folder Enrique.( in case a genuine email has been accidentally sent there)
However, if Outlook's " tightened-up" filters are not sending anything to junk any more; a genuine email will not be in there for me to see & open. :(
Last edited by jonbar.1 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:44 pm

Hi jonbar.1

Yes it will as the Outlook server will pass it through and your local Filter may think otherwise and drop into Junk/Spam.

Have a good Google regarding Outlook and get into the Settings ............. your Homework for today.... :)

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:58 pm

Enrique wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:44 pm

Yes it will as the Outlook server will pass it through and your local Filter may think otherwise and drop into Junk/Spam.

Sorry Enrique. This is the point where our conversation gets too technical for me ( as usual :roll: ).
I Didn't understand that.
If Outlook server is not allowing stuff into the Junk folder any more; how does it know that an email might be genuine, and therefore place it in Junk ( where I can spot it and retrieve it)?
....if you think I'm going on too long Enrique, by all means knock it on the head and go and have a glass. :lol:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:19 pm

Hi jonbar.1,

Google ...................... outlook why does legitimate email go into junk folder ........... this evenings Homework

Plenty of info out there .............. Example

https://www.lazorpoint.com/insights/junkfolder

In theory "used in describing what is supposed to happen or be possible, usually with the implication that it does not in fact happen"

Outlook

If you get a legitimate Email in your Junk Folder and you click it as not Spam then next time Email from same sender will go into your Inbox.

There are settings in your Outlook account for controlling how you want to handle incoming Mail

I've not used Hotmail/Outlook since 2008 so the only info I get is from Google ............ like what you can get.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:51 pm

Enrique wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:19 pm
Outlook

If you get a legitimate Email in your Junk Folder and you click it as not Spam then next time Email from same sender will go into your Inbox.

There are settings in your Outlook account for controlling how you want to handle incoming Mail
Thanks Enrique. I know all about retrieving legitimate emails from Spam : and how to control and set up incoming mail.( I 've had the same Hotmail account for over 20 years!)
I was just puzzled by the current Outlook trend of not putting stuff into "Junk".
PS: I haven't done homework since I was 16.I don't intend to start now :lol: