Speeding ticket in UK

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Speeding ticket in UK

Postby peteroldracer » Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 pm

Just been notified that a speed camera got me at 37mph in a 30 zone in the UK. This was sent to an address where my UK car is registered to, so I get tax reminders and is a postal address for insurance (though the car is declared as mainly being at our static caravan, which does not have a postal address).
I have filled in the online form to admit I was driving, but of course I have a Spanish EU licence. Can the authorities pursue me for a fine, and what happens to any points? From what I have read this is unique in being a benefit of Brexit to the citizen, but like everything else means the UK loses out!
Anyone had experience of this?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Speeding ticket in UK

Postby costakid » Wed May 15, 2024 9:21 am

They cant give you points on an EU license. You will be fined accordingly though. You may be offered speed school which is done online now so could be done from anywhere.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 18, 2024 10:40 am

Just to update: I have paid the £100 fine online. Apparently the DVLA create a "ghost" licence showing the points, which goes nowhere and means nothing (unless I go back to the UK and change to a UK licence maybe it would come with 3 points on...?)
The Speed Awareness courses can only be done in the UK, and there is a long list of them on the website. After over 60 years of motoring on two, three and four wheels, including gaining world championship points racing motorcycles I am I think well aware of what inappropriate speed is.
The stupidest thing is that all the paperwork can be done online, except that there is no way to submit my Non-GB licence details to the relevant office, so I had to get my contact at the address used for correspondence to scan the form and send it to me for printing out, completing then posting it!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

DannyB
Tourist

Postby DannyB » Tue May 21, 2024 5:35 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:40 am Just to update: I have paid the £100 fine online. Apparently the DVLA create a "ghost" licence showing the points, which goes nowhere and means nothing (unless I go back to the UK and change to a UK licence maybe it would come with 3 points
It used to puzzle me when I saw reports of underage, never qualified, disqualified etc drivers being given points until I learnt about this.

I assume that the same or similar happens in Spain. Until I got the hang of it I got a few speeding tickets on our biannual trip from santander and back. Fines but no sanction. Not in our plan but I wonder if they are sitting there waiting for me to get a Spanish licence? Time expired now anyway

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 22, 2024 9:20 am

You don't usually get points for speeding here. I got my first ever speeding ticket in Extremadura near the Portuguese border a few weeks ago. Can't complain as I've been driving not far short of 50 years! The police car was hiding under a bridge and there was no specific warning, just general warnings that there were speed radars for 15 kms. Everyone else had been overtaking me the day before on the same road with radar warnings, but the moment I overtook someone I got caught doing 120 in a 90kmph zone. The fine was 100€ but reduced to half if you pay within 20 days, which you can easily do online. The Guardia Civil officer said it was only a "tiny infringement" and no points will be deducted (here you start with 12 I think and they take them off your licence).