Car ownership and insurance

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Manchesteral
Resident

Car ownership and insurance

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:23 am

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? I am no longer resident in Gran Canaria but my long term friend is, I spend around 3/4 months there in the winter, I'm toying with idea of buying a car and leaving it in Las Palmas so that I can have the use of it when I'm there and my friend would have the use of it when I'm not there. If I pay for it but register it in his name with him being insured as the main user/owner can I be registered on the insurance as an additional user? this is only an idea at the moment so I haven't even approached any insurance companies but I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts or direct experience of this, to all intents and purposes he would be the legal owner and I would just be an additional/occasional driver !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car ownership and insurance

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 am

As far as I'm aware, it is the car that is insured rather than the owner. Anyone can drive an insured car (I think they need to be over 25). We look after a friend's holiday home here and she owns a car. We drive it as and when needed, and anyone staying at the house drives it too, all on the same insurance policy. It's not like the UK where we have to be added to her policy when we've borrowed her car over there, and have had to pay a small premium to be added as a named driver to her policy.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:54 pm

Since you are not resident and legally it's not your car, it might be wise to carry a letter of authorisation for you to drive it.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:08 pm

We're the only residents that have ever driven our friend's car. I don't think any of the many other visitors that have driven it over the years has ever thought of carrying a letter of authorisation.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:01 pm

Thank you all for your replies, I have my eye on a Land rover so I will now be pursuing this, thanks again for the input!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:50 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:08 pm We're the only residents that have ever driven our friend's car. I don't think any of the many other visitors that have driven it over the years has ever thought of carrying a letter of authorisation.
Yes, but you are residents with a Spanish licence. The Guardia wouldn’t have a problem if they stopped you in a Spanish car. A non resident driving on a foreign licence is more likely to raise question marks hence the need to prove you haven’t nicked it!

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:32 pm

El Cid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:50 pm
Wicksey wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:08 pm We're the only residents that have ever driven our friend's car. I don't think any of the many other visitors that have driven it over the years has ever thought of carrying a letter of authorisation.
Yes, but you are residents with a Spanish licence. The Guardia wouldn’t have a problem if they stopped you in a Spanish car. A non resident driving on a foreign licence is more likely to raise question marks hence the need to prove you haven’t nicked it!

Sid

Good point sid !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:42 pm

Suggest that the insured must make the conditions clear - most policies specify that drivers are over 25 or 26, and that they have held a full licence for 2 years. Irresponsible visitors breaking these risk penalties and possible impounding of the car, and I imagine there are offences such as permitting the use by uninsured drivers etc. Young people on holiday are not always going to be too particular about knowing and complying with Spanish law!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:10 pm

In the case of my friend's car, it is only the family members that have used it, so it's not been like the house has been rented out or used by people they don't know, but I can see the dangers of just saying that anyone can drive it.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:48 am

peteroldracer wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:42 pm Suggest that the insured must make the conditions clear - most policies specify that drivers are over 25 or 26, and that they have held a full licence for 2 years. Irresponsible visitors breaking these risk penalties and possible impounding of the car, and I imagine there are offences such as permitting the use by uninsured drivers etc. Young people on holiday are not always going to be too particular about knowing and complying with Spanish law!
When my son first got his licence, we decided to buy him a small Seat Ibiza with 3rd party insurance costing around 450 pounds. However, I have friends who have decided to pay a premium to allow his 18 year old son to drive the car, which has increased it by around 700 euros.