Judería (Jewish Quarter)
Córdoba's old Jewish quarter consists of a fascinating network of narrow lanes, more atmospheric and less commercialised than in Seville although souvenir shops have emerged.
Córdoba's old Jewish quarter consists of a fascinating network of narrow lanes, more atmospheric and less commercialised than in Seville although souvenir shops have emerged.
This Palace, which was declared a National Monument and important Artistic Garden, has a surface of 6,500 m2, more than half of which is occupied by the garden and the rest by a building with two floors and two little entresols.
The Tower of La Calahorra rises up at the south of the Roman bridge, the far end from the city centre. It is a fortified gate originally built by the Moors (Almohads) and extensively restored by King Enrique II of Castile in 1369 to defend the city from attack by his brother Pedro I the Cruel from the South. It was origionally an arched gate between two towers. Enrique II added a third cylindrical shaped tower connecting the outer two.
At the north end of the Roman bridge formerly used to enter the city enclosure near the Mosque, rises the Puerto del Puente or Bridge Gate. It was completed in the days of Philip II. The present triumphal arch is the work of Hernán Ruiz III and replaces what was first a Roman gate mentioned at the time of Julius Cesar and later a Moorish gate. A documented restoration took place in 720 AD. Today it is a traffic island.
The walls which used to mark the boundaries of the Jewish quarter extended virtually to the Arab walls. The latter enclose the Alcazar gardens and continue along the river bank. These stretches of wall are among the better conserved in the city's fortified enclosure, although they are from a later period.
You can walk over the Roman bridge in either direction. It is close to the great Mosque and leads to Torre de Calahorra at south end. The Roman bridge which, according to the Arab geographer, Al-drisi 'surpasses all other bridges in beauty and solidity', reflects little of its Roman roots, owing to frequent reconstruction over many decades.
Just a few minutes away from the Mezquita, to the east along calle Luis de la Cerda/Lineros, is the Plaza del Potro (Square of the Colt), a long, rectangular square which slopes down towards the nearby Guadalquivir river to the south. It is named after the 16th-century fountain in the plaza (1577).
Built in the 11th century by Jairan (or Jayran), the first ruler of the Almeria taifa (1012-1028), the wall descends the valley on the north side of the Alcazaba and climbs the Cerro de San Cristobal on the far side. The walls have three square towers dating from the Islamic era, plus four circular ones from the Christian period.
The city of Antequera contains a wealth of fascinating monuments. Visit the recently excavated Roman baths, the magnificent Renaissance church of Santa María la Mayor Church, the Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen, the 19th century bullring, and the Arch of the Giants, built in 1585, which leads up to the 13th century Moorish castle.
Sulphur is the ninth most abundant element of the universe and is one of nature´s great jokes on the human race. Known to the ancients as "Brimstone" it is one of the elements essential to life as a constituent of various biologically active compounds. Pure sulphur is odourless, but fun-loving nature frequently combines it with hydrogen to produce hydrogen sulphide, which has the odour of rotten eggs.
The ancient site at Rio Verde may have been part of the Roman town of Cilniana. It now houses the remains of a late 1st century AD Roman villa. Sadly all that is left is the floor and a small portion of the walls of the villa (the highest at 1.2 metres). However, fortunately for us it is a floor unlike any other - embellished with black and white mosaic tiles in patterns never before seen in a Roman Villa.
Somewhere along the way, Ronda became known as "the Eagles' Nest". There was deliberate irony in the name. On the one hand a simple, mildly poetic reference to its perch high in the mountains above its famous gorge; on the other an ironic reference to its inhabitants' reputation for canny ferocity.
The church of Nuestra Señora de Los Remedios is close by in the Plaza San Francisco. It was built in the 18th Century of local sandstone, which is rich in iron ore. As you walk around the outside walls, you will see many pieces of iron ore still embedded in the stone blocks.
Estepona like so many villages in Southern Spain was fought over by the moors and the Christians until it was finally captured by the Enrique IV of Castile in 1457. He ordered the building of a church on the site of the old Mosque. The church was completed around 1473. it is the oldest ecclesiastical building on the Costa del Sol, but today only the clock tower survives. In the 18th Century a neo-classical dome was added.
The hermitage building was built at the beginning of the nineteenth century, with records dating back to 1829. It is believed that this hermitage was at first constructed for lepers who were encouraged to reside out of town. Since 1875, however, the site was established as a sacred building. The original building was distroyed in the Civil War in May 1936 and the present structure rebuilt after the Civil War.
Baelo Claudia, near Tarifa, is one of Andalucia´s most significant and well-preserved Roman archeological sites. The extensive ruins are situated on the Costa de la Luz, some 15km north of Tarifa, by the small town of Bolonia and its beautiful beach. The site´s important history rests on the former city having been a strategic point for trade routes between Europe and North Africa.
Torrebermeja watchtower of Benalmadena is moorish origin and one of the oldest on the coast. Located at the entrance to Benalmadena Marina.
This tower is one of the oldest ones on the coast. It is of Moorish origin, constructed by the Nasrid dynasty of Granada sometime around 1380.
This tower is also known as Calburra or simply Burras. A document dated 1571 mentions La Cala and the station of Burras (a small military base) but it was not until 1574 when Francisco de Cordoba, Capitan General of the Kingdom of Granada.
This fort is a feature of La Cala de Mijas. Its name is Torre Vieja de la Cala de Moral which is the old nane of this cove. It is located in centre of landscaped and pedestrianized with pavement cafés nearby.